Friday, October 21, 2011

A new chapter begins...

The day - August 24th, 2011.  Austin and I fly to Salt Lake City, UT to begin a new chapter in Austin's life (and ours!).  Of course, he says good-bye to Brian like any other day.  Sometimes I wish I were a guy.  I'm horribly depressed, and Brian is thinking "one down, two to go!".  So - we board a plane, and arrive at SLC Airport.  We get off the plane, and the first thing I say to Austin is "Just watch & see how many return missionaries we see when we get down to baggage claim!"  "What are you talking about?" says my very naive son.  Well...we make it down to baggage claim and see no fewer than 6 return missionary welcome home parties - complete with banners and balloons!  WELCOME TO UTAH!!!  It's like no place else on earth!!

So, Brad picks us up at the airport, and takes us into Provo.  There, he buys Austin a laptop (what a great uncle!) for his graduation/college gift - Austin thinks he's died and gone to heaven!  I'm so grateful - I'm not sure we could afford one more thing!  College is freaking expensive!!!!  He takes us all (Austin, me and my nieces that live in Provo) to dinner.  Great first night in Utah!   We then borrow Mandy's car for the week (thank you Mandy & Scotty!!!), and mosey down to Brock & Sarah's to stay the night. 

We get up bright and early the next day for Freshman orientation!  What a day!  A billion or so Freshmen - all in one place!  Only at BYU do they start off by grouping them into small groups and playing games on the lawn.  Kanoe (my friend - Austin's room-mate's mom) and I hang out and do the "parent orientation" while the boys get to know the campus, and check everything out.  The rest of the day was a blur of shopping for all of his dorm stuff, food, etc.  My checkbook is still recovering!  We check Austin in at his new "home", and get him all moved in. 



Didn't take long to get messy, did it????  Note the Texas Flag & the UCLA license plate!

The View outside of Austin's Dorm


 

After dropping Austin off at the dorms, I picked up my bestest friend, Kristi (she flew in from CO to see me), and we spent an awesome weekend at Brad's house (they were gone for the weekend to their house at Bear Lake), and just spent our time hanging by the pool and talking pretty much non-stop.  Had a fantastic time together.  

I (sadly) took Kristi back to the airport on Sunday, and then spent the rest of the day with Brock, Sarah and Austin.  We picked up the scooter (which my mom had fixed up for Austin!), and had dinner with Sarah's family. 

Monday was spent doing all the rest of the errands that I needed to get done (registering the scooter, buying more stuff for Austin, etc.), and for Austin - his first day of college classes.  I dropped the borrowed car back off to Mandy & Scotty, and very sadly said goodbye to my sweet son.  I wanted to bawl - and to hold on to him for dear life, but with Brock, Sarah, and all of his roommates standing there, I was forced to give him a quick hug, kiss on the cheek and walk away - leaving my first born to fend for himself and enjoy a new chapter in his life.

My friend Jamie picked me up the next morning (at Brock & Sarah's), and took me to the airport.  I was able to enjoy a few hours with her, and had lunch at Cafe Rio (my fav!).  The plane ride home was terrible - I cried silently in my window seat, wishing my kids wouldn't grow up so quickly.  I'm not sure how this all happened so fast.  I sometimes wish I had it all to do over again.  But then again...I did a pretty good job the first go-round.  I'm not sure I could top it.  I am so thankful for three amazing boys that are the light of my life.  And of course for a sweet husband that takes care of us all. 





No comments: